bill and treeBill had a deep passion for the woods and the logging industry.

As a natural entrepreneur, he had a knack for seeking out promising opportunities that would help support him and his family. He was dedicated to working hard, no matter the task. In fact, Bill managed to get him and his parents through the depression by doing whatever it took to make a wage. This included loading an entire railroad car with railroad ties for just $1.00. Bill went through life constantly guided by a positive outlook and a “can do” attitude which helped him persevere through any hardships.

Bill and his father, Carl, had a logging operation and a small mill in Clackamas County when Bill was very young. When a fire destroyed that operation, they decided to part ways. Carl decided to go back to farming and Bill drove their log truck south to Douglas County in 1939, where logging along the Umpqua was beginning to flourish. Bill grew his one-truck outfit into a fleet of six. During this time, he acquired his nickname that permanently stuck. Bill was not entirely fond of the name he was given at birth (Claremont) and was often hesitant and virtually unwilling to reveal his identity to fellow colleagues. People eventually just started calling him “Bill” which turned into “Wild Bill” based on his truck driving abilities on treacherous logging roads.

After the Second World War broke out, Bill decided to sell his trucks and went to manage a logging operation until he was able to start his own logging company with three partners. Once the war ended, Bill and his partners sought opportunity with timberland available in Curry County. In 1950, South Coast Lumber Company evolved along with a logging branch, truck shop, railway vehicles, road construction enterprise, and eventually a planer.

After growing the company for 23 years, Bill bought out the last original partner in the business in 1973 when his son, Ron Fallert, returned to run the company. Even in his old age, his determination and strength held true. He came out to the mill almost every day to retrieve the block ends from the green chain. The bed of his pickup truck would be loaded up and he would drive home and split the wood into kindling to stay active. His driveway was lined and stocked with firewood. Bill never strayed far from his true passion, continuing to drive through timberland and constantly surrounding himself with the remarkable renewable resource that he dedicated his career to.